Thursday, February 21, 2008

Wing Extravaganza

"We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off" / Jermaine Stewart

I do like "lesson or command in the chorus" songs (like "Don't Talk to Strangers") and especially the longer title of this one, but isn't this totally against everything R&B/Pop music is about? Yeah we could have a good time without taking our clothes off, but it would certainly help and it definitely wouldn't hurt. I could almost understand a girl singing this song. Until tonight I thought this was sung by a girl--this guy certainly sounds like one. I can only justify the existence of this song now is by thinking that he's just singing this to keep her from leaving immediately, and the clothes WILL be taken off if he ever gets his game on.

"It's My Life" / Bon Jovi

Geez not this song again! Just proving my previous entry

"Can't Get Enough Of You Baby" / Smash Mouth

Wow, when I'm in the middle of eating wings I actually don't think of the Pizza Hut commercials immediately. I was getting into the keyboard intro riff and I/IV chords for a good five seconds before I reminded myself how the commericals ruined this song. Maybe there's still hope.

"Ebony Eyes" / Bob Welch

This is one of those sorta obscure songs from a one-hit wonder that I downloaded from Napster or Limewire or something when they were free and had no risk of legal action. I had a great group of songs but I lost them all due to a hard drive crash a few years back. This is great 70's stuff: the vocal is in "soft guy voice," we have duelling guitar vs. strings riffs, and lots of harmonies in thirds. Also notable are an ending bridge that kinda catches you off guard, and the chorus being in a different key than the verses.

"I Think We're Alone Now" / Tiffany

It's sad that I quite possibly might have heard this cover before the original by Tommy James & the Shondells. She completely destroyed this song, though she was probably just a puppet and some anonymous, soulless producers are truly to blame. Instead of galloping bass, punctuating guitar chords and vocals, and an organ that cuts through everything, we get bells, emotionless synth drums, and a melty smooth vocal track. The short synth solo is a joke too--someone noticed the mod and pitch bend wheels and HAD to use them, excessively.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Ash said...

Anytime I hear a cover of Tommy James & the Shondells, I have to go back and hear the original to confirm my suspicions: the originals are ALWAYS better.

Also, friggin' Smashmouth. They had one, ONE good song. Then they sold out. Then I forgot about 'em. Thanks for bringing them up and making me all bitter.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Piercello said...

Not that this is related to anything, but I just saw this

http://minx.cc/?post=256326

and had to share, as it has a theremin virtuoso in it...

Cheers!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Jes said...

Yeah, but 6th grade dances would not have been nearly as much fun without that crap Tiffany song!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home