Thursday, October 18, 2007

Idiot

Here's my "I'm an idiot" story for tonight. Less than half an hour ago, I was driving around my usual route for finding a parking spot downtown. I had to stop by Lovejoy's since I didn't get a chance to last weekend and I'll be gone all next week. So I'm driving north on Trinity and get to the 11st street light and plan on turning left and then left again on San Jac. I start thinking how stupid people don't realize you can turn left from a one way street onto a one way street where the traffic is going left. I think to myself I can't do that here because 11th street is two-way. So I turn left after the light turns green, and here is where my brain farts. I'm in the left lane (on the westbound side) but before I get to San Jac I think oh, I'll get into the far left lane and then I can turn left on a red light. So I completely forgot I was on a two-way street, and was in the oncoming traffic lane making a stop at the light. Before I make the turn, I realize my mistake, and a split-second later, a cop stopped at the same light but coming in the opposite direction turns on his lights.

Of course the first thing he asks is if I've had anything to drink to which I answer "no." He then asks "not even one?" and I answer without hesitation "not even one," because it is true. From his facial expression I don't know if he was going to believe me or not, so I added more of the credible story, which was also true, and which was that I was just getting downtown--to have a few drinks. I don't know if he liked that part, but what other reason would there be to just be getting downtown at this time?

I was sure I was going to get a ticket, but he left me with a warning. Maybe it was because of all the "sirs" I used, at the start and end of every sentence. But the worst thing was what he said right before he told me to be careful if I have anything to drink and he wouldn't want me to be part of one of the many accidents that happen down here, and that was that he could detect a bit of a Minnesota accent. I didn't argue since I didn't want to press my luck.

PS Brae-I thought about going to REF to see your friend's band, but if they are headlining they won't go on 'til after midnight and unfortunately I really have to be to work on time tomorrow (meaning someone will actually notice if I'm not there on time tomorrow) so I can't stay out late

2 Comments:

Blogger Rafael said...

dumbass

4:54 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

that so sucks.
at least you got off.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home