Thursday, July 26, 2007

Vacation 1

I took a vacation, which obviously included posting to this blog. I may write a few vacation posts eventually. Right now I have only one which I wrote before I became completely lazy. Here it is:

Vacation (post written 7/16)
For a bunch of great and stupid reasons, I decided to fly to JFK, rent a car, and drive to Boston. It's been a good choice so far. In order to justify flying to NYC, I had to stop somewhere before driving out. Flushing Meadows Park was an appropriate and convenient place to go. I parked by Meadow Lake which wasn't super close to the Unisphere which is the reason why I stopped, but the hour or so spent walking to it and back was a good break between the flight and the drive ahead. As I walked North from my parking spot, the first thing I noticed was how everyone is playing that sport that is all the rage now--Cricket!!! I must've walked by three or four matches/games/whatever they're called. I don't know what the rules are but apparently this is the place to play it. Everyone wears white shirts and white pants. And apparently the cricket balls (whatever you call 'em) aren't worth TOO much because I walked past someone who drove a sorta "home-run" (or whatever) which ended up in a huge puddle that the fielder (or whatever) wasn't willing to get his white pants dirty enough to retrieve.

The Unisphere is cool! I bet it looks even better at night. It's hard to see how the rings around the planet are attached in the daylight so it must be really great when you can't see the wires. The area below the sphere is meant to be filled with water, but they must've stopped doing that awhile ago. It is now taken over by skateborders and little kids running around. So, you can get under the sphere if you like. Maybe I will do that if I go back.

I wonder how the MIB writers turned the saucer shaped things at the NY Exhibit into UFOs, because its really a stretch looking at the state they're in now.

The most heartwarming site was the mother helping her two daughters on bicycles up the LI Expy overpass as I was walking back to my car. She pushed the younger one as she pedaled up to the peak, then let that daughter go on by herself down the other side as she ran back to help the older one who was just barely riding side to side instead of up the incline. She gave the older daughter a push up to the top and then of course had to keep on running to yell directions to the younger one who was now quite aways ahead. The mother ran the entire time. That must've been quite a workout but I bet she does it all the time.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Are you EVER going to update this blog? It sucks!!!!

:)

8:19 AM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

What do I update if I don't have anything to say?

11:00 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

So, you've been mute for over a month?

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home