Monday, September 25, 2006

Musical Inspirations

I guess ACL got me inspired, because I went to two music related events out of my routine. On Tuesday I went to an open-mic at B.D. Riley's. If I can get a side project rolling, I want to perform the results at an open-mic, and I thought figuring out where to go might provide me with some motivation to get the project started. Only Sundays and Tuesdays will work with my current schedule, so I decided to start checking out the ones that happen on Tuesday. Of the three or so going on in Austin, B. D. Riley's seemed the most visible so I checked that one out first. I was a bit surprised because most of the acts were really good, and most of them at the end of their songs plugged whatever place they'd be playing that weekend. So this is maybe not an open-mic for beginners. I'll check out another one soon, but not this Tuesday because we've rescheduled band practice for then.

On Friday I went to the Parish and caught whatever bands they had playing from out of town. It was a show recommended by the Chronicle and was pretty entertaining. I've only been to the Parish once or twice previously but I really like it as a music venue. I'll be keeping an eye on their calendar, and maybe I can convince myself to catch more shows.

4 Comments:

Blogger dayoldfish said...

I have caught Sub Oslo at the Parish a few times, if you see them on the calendar, tell me and I might show

1:03 PM  
Blogger BRAE said...

Yes, let everyone know if there is something good coming up.

4:53 PM  
Blogger brownie said...

Be sure to check out Mofro at Antone's on Oct 20th!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Gagger said...

Maybe next time I'll get to Graffiti's earlier on a Tuesday to see how their open mic night is.

Built to Spill is playing at Stubb's on October 20!!!

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home