Monday, August 08, 2005

CL + W = EP

Over the past couple of years I've noticed a trend, which I have formed into a equation:

Carousel Lounge + Whiskey = Embarrassed Playsbyear

It's gotten so bad that I usually don't go back there for several months to allow everyone time to forgive and forget. At first glance, last Friday looked safe. Our most well known whiskey drinker was not in attendance and therefore did not bring a bottle, and I had promised myself I would be on my best behavior.

The cards were really stacked against me, though. Usually my embarrassment has something to do with trying to convince the band to let me play with them. This is what happened the last time I was there, in between their two sets when their keyboard player had to leave for another gig. It was kinda stupid to ask; the keyboard player of course took his keyboard with him. They have a piano there, but it isn't in tune and you can't even hear it when the band is playing, without a mic. I felt I was pretty annoying, so I didn't want to repeat that again. But they made it hard to prevent. First of all, only two of the four regular members were there--the other two were new, or temporary, and had some noticeable trouble with some of the songs. Second, the permanent members didn't really seem to care about sounding great and were playing stuff for the hell of it, just having a good time. Third, there was no headlining band that night. Since the band I see is the opening band, they were free to play beyond their usual two sets. Fourth, the lead singer was taking breaks during the sets and having someone sub for him. Others were subbing in too, I think. Things got a little fuzzy. Did I mention that our #2 whiskey drinker had gone out and bought a bottle? Ugh. At one point they were asking for anyone to play guitar for a song; I almost jumped up but thankfully someone beat me to it.

Right when it looked like they were done for the night, the band decided to play one more song. However, the drummer had already stepped out. One of the band members asked if anyone could play drums, and when it looked like they were going to have to skip that last song for lack of a drummer, I jumped up and kept the beat. Not very well I'm sure, but no one seemed to notice. I know I recognized the song, so that was good.. but right now I can't say I remember what it was. I guess we all had fun, but I didn't stick around long enough to see what the drummer thought. I'm sure I know a few people who would've freaked out if they came back to find someone else playing their stuff. I guess I'll have to take a couple months off again...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home