Friday, July 04, 2008

What's Up

I've still been seeing music regularly, but it hasn't been as fun and I haven't been taking notes. A few weeks ago I went to see Hacienda again at Emo's Lounge, but it wasn't as fun because I was on a "just OK" date and wasn't able to party down like I usually would. Last weekend I did the Keep Austin Weird 5K which had some pretty high profile bands like What Made Milwaukee Famous and Alejandro Escovedo after the race. I watched the whole WMMF set but only stayed around for a few of AE. Before the race I watched I saw the only non-Austin band, from CA, whose name I forget. The music was alright but they were a little too enthusiastic to the point of seeming a bit fake. Also questionable was some of the lead singer's trying-to-be-funny interjections--like wondering aloud if they'd go up in flames from the heat "like a monk in Vietnam." Wow, that's not just crude that's downright sick (especially for a family audience)! I wore whatever I could find around the house during the race: mardi gras beads, race medals, leis, and my melodica. I really annoyed a lot of people during the race playing it, which was fun. Also, one of the bands along the way called me up to play a solo.

Seems like I've been seeing the free bands at LJ's on Thursday a lot lately. The first one last night was alright, but the second one (the mask wearing dirge playing band I mentioned in a previous post) drove me out of there. I paid one of the guys in the first band a back handed complement by saying that they were really good "in comparison to the second band." Heh, I crack myself up!

What else... I've really been enjoying work and not much else lately, which is completely opposite of my normal situation. I haven't played guitar or keyboard since our last gig, which was almost two weeks ago. And, I've been watching more TPIR then MEtv lately. I'll miss our next two gigs next weekend because I'll be taking a week-long break up to Wisconsin. I haven't been up there during the summer since I've moved down here, and I'm looking forward to it.

Have a nice Independence Day--have an Independence brew if you can!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home