Monday, June 02, 2008

Parish LAST Friday

Man it's been a busy week. I was at work 10+ hours more than normal. On the bright side, it's nice to feel needed and appreciated. I was too tired to do anything last night and crashed real early. But, I never did post about LAST Friday.

As I mentioned previously, I've been wanting to see Future Clouds & Radar and Built by Snow for awhile, so it was great that I could see them both the same night at a great venue, The Parish.

I only caught part of the four-piece opening band, Model United Nations. They were solid. Interestingly, they had the hi-hat w/tambourine set up in front of the bass player in center stage. The lead singer/guitar player was on the left. They got a lot of their Dallas friends to come down for the show so they had a nice crowd. I'm starting to pay more attention to guitar equipment, particularly the amps since I'm in the market for one. They used a Vox and a Fender.

I didn't take too many notes on Future Clouds & Radar probably because I was enjoying their set too much. At several points the lead singer encouraged everyone to not be shy and come up to the front of the stage. Of course it took my additional hand waving and leading by example to get everyone to finally do it. The red-head keyboard player had a triton used for horn parts and a nord. The guitar player/lead singer is quite talented and played the closest I've heard to classical guitar in a rock band. The promoter got a great lighting guy. There were beams of light reflecting off the big bass guitar pegs that looked cool, and rotating lights making a ring around the lead singer. At times it may have been a bit too much actually! They didn't play the songs off the two videos I've seen which I thought was unusual, but it didn't bother me.

Built by Snow was less mellow and reminded me of another band that I couldn't place. Then, they played a song that totally reminded me of Weezer, in the song structure and in the singer's voice. Then, they played a Weezer cover from Pinkerton so I knew for sure Weezer was an influence. This band was heavier and faster than FCAR, and they describe their music as rock music for smart kids, weird kids, rocket scientists, etc. They use some beepy-boopy keyboard stuff through an Alesis Micron with a Pac-man sticker on it.

After the show I talked a little with either someone in Built by Snow or someone who made their video. All I remember saying is that I was too old to catch some of their video game references.

I managed to leave the show with *5* CD's, though I think I only paid $25 for them. The Model UN EP was free, the FCAR double CD came with a free EP, and the BBS EP was $5. I've only been able to listen halfway through one of the FCAR CDs so far.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home