Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ah! Wings!

"Ah! Leah!" / Donnie Iris

The strange thing about this song for me is that it came out in 1980 and I never heard it until I moved to Orlando in 1994. Even though I listened to radio stations that should've played it in Madison, none of them did. Anyway, I really liked this song from my first listen. The duetted lead vocals, steady eighth-note staccato bass line, and smooth three part backup vocals all make this song great. The chord progression doesn't seem that incredible at first, but I think the resolution to the I after every phrase of the verse and the lack of resolution through the four chords of the chorus might be what makes this song distinctive. Points also go to the punctuated voice tone synth used after the chorus, which are palatable because they aren't used to excess. The exclamation points in the song title also push the limit for song titles without being over the top.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger brownie said...

Donnie Iris rocks!

10:51 AM  
Blogger mike said...

I like that song too, for reasons, like, yeah, what you said. Plus I was high when I first heard it.

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home