Saturday, March 22, 2008

SXSW Friday

Friday I headed down to LJ's after work, where I planned to plan the rest of the night. I wasn't too successful at planning, and also didn't end up seeing many shows that I liked very much. But that's OK, you can't win every time. I started at The Parish and saw a song or two from Portastatic. I chose this one just cause he was from Chapel Hill NC, and I hadn't seen anyone from that area of the country yet. It was one guy on acoustic guitar and his vocal style sounded too whiny for me, so I moved on. Emo's Lounge was next, Jeff Hanson from St Paul. Also one guy on acoustic. He really sounds like a girl. It was rather creepy to me, so I moved on. I stopped by Mohawk and realized how tired I was. I sat down in a big chair and didn't really pay attention to the two bands. The one outside, Black Helicopter sounded good but I really had to chill out on that chair inside.

Next I went to my best show of the night, Pissed Jeans from Allentown at Bourbon Rocks Patio. I just noticed now that it was Sub Pop records showcase. Had I realized that before I might have seen a few more bands there that night. The lead singer was very Mick Jaggerish with his pouting, strutting, and taking a dumping? What does that mean? I am writing this from notes I took, and it is much more difficult doing this a week later--my memory has faded fast. Anyway, the band was having a good time and was real energetic. I would definitely see them again. The lead singer was a smart ass, too, which I liked. After a song he thanked the audience "for being so quiet" and I have written hear that he asked someone "Do you need a pick?" I think that was directed at the drummer, ha.

I stopped by Emo's but didn't take any notes. I talked to some French guy who was in a band playing the next day, but of course I don't remember the conversation. This is starting to get useless, isn't it?

I went to Red 7, mostly because I'd never been there before. Kayo Dot was playing. They had an interesting line-up which included flute, mellotron, sax, and this cool looking red electric violin. Most of them had music in front of them, so I imagine these musicians all had classical training. I didn't take any notes on the music, but I must've not been really into it because I only stayed for about half the set before meandering over The Parish to catch Destroyer. I already posted about them, but I read a show review in the Chronicle today and the reviewer had similar thoughts. The show apparently did get a whole lot better later in the set, but I had left by that point already.

So, not much stuck with me Friday night. Pissed Jeans was great, but otherwise I was just not in the right place for me. I was in the right place at the end of the night, however, when I was standing in front of The Orchid and the dancers inside managed to accidentally break a huge front window which came crashing down right in front of me. I was a safe eight or so feet away, but I was looking directly at it when it happened. Rock-n-roll!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home