Wednesday, March 19, 2008

SXSW Wednesday Part Two

Then I headed to Soho. The band Canada from Ann Arbor, MI was playing, and I thought since they were from a Big Ten city I might enjoy them. Only halfway through the first night, and I see the first (and not last) melodica player in this group. He used the convoluted tube attachment so that the keyboard of the melodica was in front of him instead of having to play it sideways. It was a little hard to see through the crowd but I noticed the pegbox of a string instrument, and a vibrating hand. The top of the instrument was just above the head of the sitting player, so I assumed this was a cello. Maneuvering to a better location, I noticed that the cello player was an attractive woman with black, straight shoulder length hair and glasses. Perfect look for a cello player! For one song they used a xylophone, which I may have mentioned seeing before in another band but to me is more rare than melodica and therefore more interesting to me. During one song many in the audience were shouting out something, which led me to believe that those people were familiar with the music and may have even come down to see them from Michigan. Wait! 2 cello players! Cool. From their description on the web I see that they are a seven piece band; however, the most I counted was six: drums, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, and two cellos. Their music was good but they and their home audience got a little carried away by playing an encore—and therefore screwing the next band. That pissed me off so I left a minute into their encore song.

Out on the street a band named Frantic was recruiting people in the middle of 6th street to see their show in an hour. I really admire their determination, but I didn’t end up seeing their show.

I headed down to Antone’s to see Brothers and Daughters, but the line was too long and I felt that I would never get in, so I headed back to 6th street. I stopped in B.D. Riley’s and the Argentenian band Capsula was playing. They were a three piece: a girl on bass, and guys on guitar and drums. They were really enthusiastic which I love, but unfortunately I wasn’t getting into their music so I left after a few songs.

I stopped at The Parish just cause I really like the venue. Walter Meego was playing and they had an interesting setup: a twosome with canned keyboard and drum track, the two guys playing two guitars or one guitar and keyboard. Some of their music was instrumental. It was interesting and I felt the groove they were laying down.

I was going to go to The Wave to see some international bands, but ended up talking with Gabe from Mugshots for too long. Capsula walked into Mugshots while we were talking. I recognized them and told them I appreciated their show. I ended up again at LJ’s for yet another free barleywine on my way to Flamingo Cantina to see the ska band The Aggrolites. Lyle was there so I talked with him a bit, but eventually broke off to jump around. I’m not sure I understand the difference between Ska and Reggae. The Ska bands I was really into in the 90’s were Ska-Punk evidently, because this Ska was too slow for me. I liked the rototoms, and the organ was surprisingly prominently featured in almost every song. The bass was fuzzy and subtle, also cool. The lead singer would often have an angry look on his face while he beckoned the crowd on. I didn’t feel that he was really angry, just that it was his look. Maybe that’s an LA thing? They played a few interesting covers: “Ain’t to Proud to Beg” and “Don’t Let Me Down” in a ska style (or rather reggae sounding to me).

That last show ended at 2 am and I had to work the next morning! While I overdid it this first night, what I realized was that the wristband is worth it. It enables so much flexibility, and if you don’t care about the high profile acts and realize that you’re going to see good bands no matter where you go, the different feeling of each new bar and crowd keeps it exciting the whole time. I thought I might be annoyed with moving from place to place, but it really made it more fun.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home