Friday, January 12, 2007

Wings & Oates

Surprise, it's a wing entry!

Tonight's song is "Private Eyes" by Hall & Oates. Last night, I was watching an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force which featured the apparition of Bart Oates, the former center for the New York Giants (still alive by the way), telling Carl to right the things he's done wrong. I felt inferior not knowing who Bart was so I looked up his entry on wikipedia. Of course, I stumbled on the Hall & Oates entry and read their history as well. That made me remember that in my youth I bought the Rock & Soul Part I LP.

I didn't own a lot of LPs. There was a fairly short window between my first music purchase and the advent of CDs, so that's why. I also bought some cassettes in that period, but I can't recall any of them. Anyway I think we can all agree that cassettes suck.

What I didn't realize until just now is that Rock & Soul Part I was a greatest hits package. That means that this LP is the first greatest hits album I ever owned! Hall & Oates seems appropriate for that. It's hard to imagine being such a big fan of theirs that I'd own their real albums, but their songs were certainly catchy enough that owning a compilation is understandable. The other LPs I remembering owing were Men At Work's first two albums, and I remember that my sisters owned Phil Collins' solo album with the big orange head on it, Thriller (of course), and Wham!'s Make It Big.

I almost forgot to mention anything about the song. "Private Eyes"... nice prevalence of the "rock style" piano that you can find on any keyboard these days, also the usual Hall soulful lead vocals and Oates soothing back-ups. And a nice clapping thing going on during the chorus.

I must also mention that while I was reading the summary at the above ATHF link, which ends with a quote about the band Boston, the Boston song "Don't Look Back" is playing here. Freaky coincidence.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger piannist said...

So you're not going to mention the cool silent lip synced videos we made (playing homemade cardboard instruments) to that album? You know, with the special effect where we'd duck down to the floor to get out of the way for someone else's solo? Man, we were awesome. Mom still has the evidence!

I was just enjoying your 5/2/05 post...hint hint...

5:16 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I think your sister should post those old videos:)

HA!

3:55 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

I don't know what she's talking about... I don't think such a thing exists.

5/2/05 post? I can't post about Eeyore's Birthday Party again until it happens.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

you gotta do Hall & Oates next time you play....

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home