Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Experiencing SXSW

Last Saturday I took a break from watching others enjoy SXSW and actually attended a real, live SXSW event. The venue was Opal Divine's, or rather Opal Divine's parking lot, and we saw the middle four of six sets. It was a good choice as we were able to sample a variety of musical styles: Rock, Alt Country, and Singer-Songwriter. All of the music was good , but what I enjoyed the most was how much fun the bands were having, especially those from outside of Austin, The Radio Nationals from Seattle and The Swiftys from Edmonton. I wouldn't say that Austin singers Charlie Sexton and Jimmy LaFave didn't appear to be enjoying themselves, but it didn't compare to the enthusiasm the out-of-town band members expressed.

If I decide to go next year, I plan on picking who I see based on where they're from (the farther away the better) and if this is their first time playing here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home